Sunday, February 16, 2014

Prayer for Pizza

One evening in Colorado this summer, I was a hot mess trying to deal with things that came up in my life. I was processing through some of it with one of my pastors in the lobby of a facility at the YMCA of the Rockies. After talking through what came up, my pastor and I developed a hankering for pizza. A perfect midnight snack, right? After seriously praying to God for peace and guidance, we seriously prayed for pizza. We called the YMCA front desk to ask if they knew of late-night pizza places. They didn't. What was still open in the tiny town of Estes Park, CO? Nothing. Nothing was open. While my pastor was on the phone with the YMCA staff, my eyes wandered across the desolate lobby. My eyes landed upon the trashcans. The trashcans. There were pizza boxes stacked on-top of the trashcans! Could there be pizza inside of them? Glowing with hope, I made eye-contact with my pastor and pointed towards the pizza boxes on top of the trash. "I highly doubt it, but do you think there could be any left in there?" I walked across the lobby with anticipation and when I opened up a pizza box, my eyes widened with amazement. PIZZA! Better yet, FREE PIZZA! Oh praise Jesus! Two perfect slices of pizza waiting to be eaten. My pastor and I delighted in eating the pizza while laughing out loud in amazement and thanking God. We earnestly prayed for pizza. A silly and small prayer, maybe. But God answered that silly and small prayer in a miraculous way. No pizza places were open and there was pizza - maybe on top of a trashcan, but still - it was an answered prayer for pizza!

No comments:

Post a Comment